Thursday, October 18, 2007

It's been a while and I need to make an edit RE: Core Values

So Pastor Mike and I have started talking about what a "win" looks like here at WLA on Sunday mornings. Today was our first pointed chat about this and in starting the dialogue it came to my attention that one of my core values could be wildly misunderstood so let me clarify that. When I said that the ARTS have a vital role in the church and said that they can communicate things that preaching simply can't what I mean was this: spoken word speaks to a different part of us than art does. The preaching of God's word is vital and is the primary focus of any good church service - as such the arts should always be pointing the way to the word and it's preaching. However, I also contend that the arts strike chords in us and our emotions that spoken word does not. There are emotions that get stirred by music or drama that don't by word alone. The gospel can say anything it wants to say - undoubtedly - but it seems to me that in practical terms God has designed the human soul to respond differently to singing than preaching and so on.

I hope that clears up any misunderstandings someone might have regarding what I said.

I should do this more often...blog that is....not make mistakes to be corrected...

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I agree that preaching should be the primary focus of "any good" church service. Some of the best services I've been in were ones where the preacher never got a chance to say a word.

    ReplyDelete