Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Upwards, Inwards and Outwards

I'm working my way through a study on worship. I found it mentioned on www.worship.com and so ordered it and have been pleased with it so far. It's a 9 week study which gives thoughts for 5 of the 7 days of the week. On day 3 the author suggest we praise in all directions: Upwards, Inwards and Outwards. I thought this was just a great way to articulate the totality of the worship God is looking for. In case it's not already apparent what he meant let me give you a paraphrased version of the study:

Upwards: This is the traditional definition of worship - like Sunday corporate worship where we lift up the name of God in song or speech.

Inwards: to work on the state of our hearts and souls is an act of worship.

Outwards: Loving our fellow man as Christ has commanded is also worship.

I'm all over this kind of stuff. Worship is more than music...I'll say that until it becomes the standard definition that the majority of Christians embrace...and live!

No comments:

Post a Comment