Monday, January 19, 2009

#1 Generosity

So begins my week of posts on my goals for 2009:

Let's be clear about something: Heerebout is a dutch name. If there is one thing the dutch are famous for it is how cheap we are. In fact last night I was at a certain watering hole with my friend Andrew VanderPloeg, who is also dutch, in fact Big Dutch is the nickname I gave him, and while reaching for something in my pocket a penny dropped onto the floor. I was inclined to let the penny go whilst appearing not to care by my comment "it's only a penny" but Andrew, truer to his heritage than I, felt a sense of loss as he watched the penny role away and in his own defense said "yeah, but I'm dutch". Every penny counts.

Added to my personal pedigree is a good dose of Scottish blood from my mother's side. The Scots aren't exactly known for burning money either.

All of this adds up to a man who has a tight string on his coin purse.

Then there is Jesus and his teachings. I know in my heart that God desires his followers to be the most generous people on the planet. He is honored when we give deeply and with Joy.

I have two heroes when it comes to giving. My wife and my mother-in-law. They give without hesitation and love to do so. It's their language of love to others. They challenge my dutchness constantly. I see the values of Jesus embodied in their gifts and sacrifices. It was Mel's idea for us to leave a huge amount of things in Cuba as a gift to our housekeeper. It was Karen (MIL) who gave us money to buy things for the kids we'd encounter in Cuba. Leaving our clothes and shoes in our room in a neat pile with a thank-you note and giving that duffle bag of toys to a house church who could get them out to needy kids are likely the two memories that will stick with me longest from our trip. The joy of the Lord was felt in my heart as we gave.

So my first goal for 2009 is to become more generous. Not so I can keep up with my wife or so I look like a good person but so that I am not one of the rich men who can't fit through to eye of a needle. So that God is honored as I seek to give more things away. So that I can experience the full joy God means for my life to have.

2 comments:

  1. For the record, I went back yesterday morning when that watering hole first opened and retrieved that penny. - Big Dutch

    ReplyDelete