Thursday, January 22, 2009

Personal Evangelism pt.2

I wanted to add to this post 2 ways this is working out in my life.

1. Back in November I decided to act on inspiration from Pastor Mike and start running with lost people. He stole the idea from Bill Hybels so I think it's ok that I copied him. I started running on Saturday mornings and have recently (like this week) decided to make it Wed and Sat runs that I'll do with them. I hope in doing so I'll earn the right to tell them about Jesus.

2. Melissa, Layla, and I are going to be serving with the YFC Streetlight ministry on Tuesday evenings. The critical part of this for me was that we had to choose not to take part 2 of the most helpful parenting class ever, with 2 families we've come to love, in order to get started in this ministry. We decided that the content is accessible at home and the fellowship could be had at some other time. This specific time of the week we want to set aside to serve the poor and speak about Jesus to others.

Maybe those ideas inspire you. Maybe not. I'd encourage you though, come up with your own ways of spending time with the lost. One thought I've been pondering lately, inspired by Francis Chan, is this: maybe we should take literally the call to "love you neighbor as yourself". Maybe that doesn't sound like it fits so let me explain my thought here. See, I am a member of the body of Christ. I'm supposed to be of one mind and spirit with those who are members of my church. In many ways loving them is like loving myself... or should be... or is when everyone is working from a biblical mindset ;) So if loving the church is mostly like loving myself then loving my neighbor becomes much more about loving those outside the church. What if I took that literally? Spend as much time loving the lost as you doing loving those in the church? What would that look like? Could I do it? It seems to me worth trying, even if I don't split things 50/50 I bet by trying I'd be closer to God's design than I am now...

No comments:

Post a Comment