Friday, February 6, 2009

Answered Prayers

God answers prayer. How do I know? Let me tell you a story and then I'll tell you what my prayer was.

This morning I met a friend at a coffee shop in St. Thomas. I arrived a bit early and sat down in close proximity to another man who was intently watching TV. As I pulled out a book he began talking to me. I was happy to talk with him while I waited and we quickly got to the business of what I did for a living. I told him that I worked at a church (I don't always lead with that... it's become a matter of discernment but it felt right today) and I could tell that made him a bit uncomfortable. We continued to talk and then my friend came and so we ended the conversation and I turned my attention to my friend. 

The new conversation quickly got to church stuff and about 5 minutes in I made this comment: "God is in control of everything". My new friend, who I discovered is called George, asked if we really believed that. The following 40 minutes were an intense spiritual conversation with a highly skeptical, been there done that, guy who is a practicing homosexual. He started off highly offensive and then calmed as he began to realize I wasn't going to bash him or call him out but simply wanted to admit some of the faults of those who claim to follow Christ but really don't and find out what he believed about God. All in all, it was a very productive conversation.

Yesterday I asked for prayer 2 separate times that God would give me opportunities to actively engage in evangelism. He answers prayer... now I'm going to pray God would let me cross paths with George again and continue the work we started. Praise God!

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool, man.
    Greg had a great sermon on loving our community a few weeks ago and mostof it had to do with Christians vs. homosexuals. He brought up this storywhere Tony Campoli was talking about how Christians are so quick to rally against same-sex marriage. When we, as christians, shoudl be loving those who we disagree with, we are showing up at rallies and fighting against them. It's an interesting concept.

    I'll pray that you will also bump into George again. Kudos & thx for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I'll pray for you and a 2nd meeting with George and the words to say. And the grace to say them. Well done. Good on you for seeing the opportunity as from God and not as a distraction or interupption to your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. Thanks. That's always the challenge. Not to see these things are disruptions from my day but as the hand of God editing what I thought would be my day and in so doing giving me a better day.

    ReplyDelete