Monday, February 16, 2009

These Sandals were made for walkin' (in)

You know the poem "Footprints"? Of course  you do. It's an inspirational image of how God is always with us and how he carries us through some of life's hardest times. I think someone should write a sequel.

I'm reading from 1 John right now and in chapter 2 John says "anyone who says he abides in him ought to walk the same way in which he walked". Can you see the footprints in the sand, stretching out across the beach? This time they're not an image of your life and God's faithfulness - this time they're calling you to a life of witness, self-sacrifice, influence for the sake of the cross, adventure and danger. The path probably looks like to goes right over the edge of a cliff or into the turbulent waters of the ocean in the midst of a storm. Even so the image calls you forward...

I want to live this life. Wherever the footprints of Christ lead me, however the cause me to live, I want to walk in them, mimicking the pattern they've left as closely as possible. Not only that, but I want my life to be spent in encouraging as many people as I can to follow with a similar reckless abandon. Consider this one of many invitations to get on the path and follow the footprints.

1 comment:

  1. good post.
    I like that poem.
    Except, my Jesus would have levitated because it's funner. So there'd be no footsteps at all.

    ReplyDelete