Monday, August 18, 2008

I want to have IT

I really love to read. I love to read because it challenges me. My mind works this way...I read something, I get re-energized, I want to incorporate what I've read into my life. This often happens when I open God's word (as I hope it does for you!) but it can also happen when I read other books. Most often it's books on leadership and the church.

The most recent book I've devouered? Craig Groeschel's (pastor of LifeChurch.tv) newest book called IT: How Churches and Leaders can get IT and Keep IT. Craig's church has IT. Two years in a row now they've been recognized as the most innovative church in America. They have 13 campuses. They minister to over 25,000 people each weekend. People come to Christ weekly. Baptisms are constant. They leverage everything they can for the cause of Christ. Sounds amazing and exciting, doesn't it?

So how does Craig propose we get IT? He proposes there are 7 elements that contribute to IT. It's not that if you do these things IT will happen. More like, IT tends to follow these things and if you don't have them it's unlikely you'll find IT where these things are lacking.

Today's IT factor: Vision.

The KJV quotes Proverbs 29:18 as "Without vision the people perish". God knows the power of vision and means for his people and his church to have clear vision. I like how Craig describes clear vision. It has to be memorable, portable and motivational. I think a good vision has to be all three. A catchy phrase that doesn't inspire people is worthless. A great vision that can't be applied to every aspect of ministry (or life if it's a personal vision) is useless.

Vision is so vital to our lives. To our ministries. Even if you don't "lead for a living" you should be thinking about vision. Pray with me for vision in our lives, our churches and our ministries. Without it, we perish...or we might as well perish.

PS - another great book on this topic which is applicable to anyone reading this is Visioneering by Andy Stanley. You can get both of these books on amazon.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment