Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ever wonder if your role is important?

Have you ever showed up on a Sunday morning and wondered whether or not you're really needed? Sometimes the music doesn't really need another instrument, does it? Or perhaps another vocal seems one too many? Or maybe your technical position seems to be totally redundant or unappreciated. I think these are pretty natural thoughts perhaps especially at 7am when we'd way rather be in our warm bed.

This past weekend illustrated to me why each role is invaluable even when at first glance you might not think you're needed. Take the role we call service manager. This past weekend I had no role (which is an odd thing) and scheduled a service manager. I do this for a couple of reasons not the least of which is just getting to mingle more with the people of the church and to worship with my wife on occasion. This past weekend was a pretty basic service and to be honest I had second thoughts about dragging our service manager out of bed. I could have done the job, mingled, and sat with my wife the whole service. I left her on the schedule anyhow and in hindsight, I'm totally glad I did.

we ended up having a huge computer problem 20 minutes before the service, things started late and we still had no video for 20 minutes. I was stressed. Our service manager did an amazing job and I couldn't have done the job without her!

So what's my point? This: sometimes you can't see the ways in which you will be a blessing to someone until you're there and you give God the chance to take your role and effect life change in someone else. Sometimes the line you play as a part of the band stands out and inspires someone to worship God all the louder. That extra voice? Maybe its the sound God uses to remind us of His presence through a felt emotion and the medium through which His wonder is experienced. You may never know how much the service you offer is used by God but I'd be willing to bet this has been true of you when you least expected it.

No comments:

Post a Comment