Thursday, December 11, 2008

Some great ideas for changing a life at Christmas

I really think we as Christians should look to leverage our Christmas giving to change lives at Christmas time. At WLA we're supporting many ministries not the least of which is Advent Conspiracy. Giving money to a cause instead of to a scarf of questionable significance is one way to change a life through giving.

I also think there are certain gifts you can give that might help stimulate life change. For me, books are a particularly good way to get me thinking and so I thought I'd do a list of the top 10 books that are changing my heart and mind. All of these books are available on Amazon for a reasonable amount of money...

Crazy Love by Francis Chan
Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson
Unceasing Worship by Harold Best
The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus
Unchristian by David Kinnaman
Visioneering by Andy Stanley
In a Pit WIth a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson
Expositions of Romans by Martyn Lloyd Jones
God is the Gospel by John Piper
The ESV Study BIble

I've read all of these books this year and each one presented me with much to think about and grow from. I'd wholeheartedly recommend any of them to the believer on your list!

3 comments:

  1. I've been trying to get the leadership team of Lutes Mountain to jump onto Advent Conspiracy the last two Christmas's; it just hasn't become a theme yet. How's it been received @ WLA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty well although our church is so big on missions we know just about anything will get some buy in. I'll let you know at the end of the 3 weeks what our total ends up being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We read Visioneering years ago and were highly impacted. More to say, but won't here...:-)

    ReplyDelete