Thursday, September 11, 2008

Books without Pictures

If you've been around West London any length of time you've undoubtedly heard Pastor Mike crack this joke. He encourages to grab a book without pictures. What he means is read something theologically deep. Something challenging.

To be honest when I first got here I was very keen on this idea. Reading deep books was something I did in university and it was never very fun. You know what though? It's probably the best exercise I've been engaged in during my tenure at WLA. I've only read a few in two years but the ones I've read have literally changed my view of God and his Son and the Holy Spirit. The exercise has drawn me closer to the God I so desperately want to serve. It stretches my mind to ask tough questions about who God is and what he wants from us.

In a very real way the Word IS God and the Word WAS God. The Word became flesh. My relationship to the Word is directly linked to my relationship to Christ. The more I know about the Word the more I know about Christ. The closer I get to knowing the real Word the closer I get to knowing Christ.

So I encourage you...pick up a tough book about the Word. Don't be lazy. I know I tedn to be but as I'm discovering in all kinds of ways these days hard work is worth the pay off. In this case it's the best kind of payoff...knowing God more intimately. If you want reccomendations ask Pastor Mike...he's the king of books with no pictures.

Incidentally let me be direct with my female readers (boy I might get in trouble for this)...this is likely less appealing to you than some of the male readers. I don't know why that is but it's certainly not because you're not bright enough to make it through these books! The girls I know are incredibly intelligent. I think it's a left brain/right brain thing...but don't shy away from tough reading. Don't make excuses - try it. You might end up liking it!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Tim....

    So much to say here. I have started this comment several times and no approach is quite right.

    Do I do the "fake stupid" comment?

    Do I moan about the lack of time that SAHM's have for reading?

    Do I pretend that I am *so holy* that I don't waste my time reading books: I only read the Word?

    Do I crack a joke about my Honours English and History BA getting set aside for my MRS degree?

    Do I list all the "hard" books I've read?

    No, no friend. None of that. I know what you are saying. I hear you. Just a "keep reading" pat on the back. I couldn't agree more.

    My favourite Mike quote about books: He asked me what I was reading in Lit. class. I told him Lady Chatterly's Lover. He said "Ah yes. That is a great book...if you can read it with your eyes closed".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara...I hope you know I wasn't talking to anyone in particular. I don't know anyone's reading habits. I just know these kinds of pragmatic things are less appealing to crative types and to the fairer sex. Maybe that's a horrible generalization but I think it's true. Maybe I'm wrong. No offense meant to anyone and I hope none taken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,
    I will try to be as charitable as Barb, and take this as a kind reminder to make reading a reasonable priority - and to be mindful to make what we read really matter. This did make me take a second glance at the stack by my bed. I would just like to mention that when I was studying philosophy at Western, there were just as many women as men in my class...and I know quite a few women for whom this tendency away from really meaty books does not apply.

    I was pestering Mike a while back to start a "Stuff Mike Likes to Read by Dead Guys" book club on Facebook. I guess no interest yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rats! I blew it! Oh I was so hoping to not have you think I was offended. Not in the least. That was my, apparently failed, attempt at humour. I'll work on that.

    I have had my ups and downs in the serious reading department too. I love magazines because you can pick them up and put them down without needing to steal an hour out of my day. And of course blogs. Love to read blogs. I love cheesy Christian mystery novels and how they try to sound scandalous without actually sinning. I still love picking up my John Donne poetry collection to get inspired to write. I love Piper, and, when I've had several full nights of sleep in a row, Edwards. Still, like Lindy I appreciate the reminder to be intentional about my reading. No offense taken! I promise.

    ReplyDelete