Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Where is our temple these days?

I had an interesting (at least I think so) thought yesterday. I was thinking about the Old Testament temple and the care the people took to make sure it reflected the majesty of God as best as it could. And then I wondered - what's the equivalent reflection of our desire to see God's majesty made known today?

As far as I can tell there are two possible outlets for this: the church or our bodies. It really depends on how you look at it. Either we look at if from a practical point of view and decide the church, the physical structure where God's people gather to worship is the equivalent or we take literally the biblical teaching that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and say that our bodies are the temple of the Lord. No matter how we look at it I think the North American evangelical community largely misses the opportunity to witness to the greatness of God.

I think most of us would agree that option 2 is the biblical option. But then are we living up to this reality? Are we seeing ourselves as temples? Are we doing our best to make the structure as well kept as possible? More importantly, in the heart, the holy of holies, are we working with the Lord to clean the dirty places of our hearts and allowing the overflow of our hearts to reflect the one who we say lives in us? It pains me to admit that I know I'm often not a great reflection of this. Recent studies would suggest that the average Christian isn't...we don't appear to be any different than those that aren't following Christ.

I think we as Christians need to be asking God more and more to make us look different. Help us to hate what God hates. Help us to loosen our grip on the material. Help us to shine a light that the world might see Christ and be attracted to Him. I think I'm going to try and come up with one way each day this week that this temple can reflect the glory of God better.

What ways is God calling you to be more accurate a reflection of His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment