Saturday, September 27, 2008

You've got to admit...

American's know how to create a sense of awe. I went today and saw many of the famous sites of Washington, DC. As I looked at the White House, Lincoln's visage, the Korean and WWII memorials I kind of wished I had some part to hold in it all. The history is so rich, so storied and dispite an overly high view of themselves you've got to give the American's credit...there is something to be proud of and they show it to the world BIG TIME. They are patriotic to the core.

In Canada we don't get this. I've been to Ottawa several times. Its ok but its not like Washington. We have things to be proud of. Even then fact that we won our independance without a fight...that's something to memorialize. But we don't. We don't invest into patriotism. I think its why we don't invest in our Olympic programs and why the Americans do. But now I guess I'm rambling.

You know, its not just countries that ought to be committed to honoring and remembering milestones. Families should. Churches should. So many significant moments go by without recognition. Why is that? I think often its because either we don't see enough value in it (Canada's problem) or because our pace of life has tings zooming by so quickly that we just let the opportunities slip from our hands.

Mel and I talked today about marking milestones and living life to create milestones. We really want to pursue the accumulation of significant experiences not things. And as we accumulate those experiences as a family we want to celebrate and remember them. Take pictures. Journal. Buy small but meaningful souvenirs and don't let them collect dust. Do ANYTHING that will help you remember the life you life with the people you love and create a "patriotic" passion in your own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment