Friday, October 31, 2008

Unceasing Worship; Unity and Mutual Indwelling

So we won't be talking today about authentic worship. I missed an important section. The third chapter deals with what Best calls mutual indwelling. This chapter gave me a headache. There are some deep and mysterious concepts in it. Therefore, I'll say this... READ THE BOOK! For those of you who won't be able to for one reason or another I will do my best to present a basic outline of the idea of mutual indwelling. As a starting point I'll say this: The concept comes down to

UNITY

In point form here are the concepts that make up Mutual Indwelling:

a. God is our dwelling place (Psalm 90)
b. Christ (being fully God) is our temple and greater than the temple
c. We are God's building (1 Cor 3:9) and corporate temple (1 Cor 3:16-17)
d. Christ is the chief cornerstone of the church and we are the redeemed living stones that make up the temple with Him (1 Pet 2:4-8)
e. We are each temples in which Christ dwells

So this leaves us with Temples (each of us) within a temple (the church) within a temple (Christ). So we are individuals and yet we dwell within one another in the sense that we together make up a single living temple, the church.

Are you still with me?

How can this be? Mr. Smith hates my music. Mrs. Jones disparages me at congregational meetings. Brother Killarny wants to spend money on the building while Sister Mildred wants to up our giving to global missions.

Then we get slammed...what about me? How do I offend? How do I promote disunity? How can unity exist in such a place?

Grace. Infinite grace that flows from the Father and Son and Spirit to us as we pour back to Him and to one another.

So the question: to what degree are we as worshipers and artists called to promote and encourage unity while still being the unique people God has made us to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment