Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What do Layla, John Mayer and SCL have in common?

Sometimes weird things just happen. Here's one of them. Back during Mel's pregnancy, somewhere around month 5 I think (I made that up...but it sounds right) we discovered that John Mayer would be playing at the Molson Amphitheatre on July 7th. Now, John is my favorite musical artist these days and so any time he comes close I figure its a great chance to see him. Well Melissa's due date was July 8th or 9th depending on what colored wheel we listened to so it kind of messed up our plans to see John for the third time. However, I saw this as an opportunity to make a bold statement and select July 7th as the date Layla would actually be born on. I mean, she's her daddy's girl and I knew she would want to allign herself with her dad's likes and so she did. In fact, she was born right about the time John was taking the stage for his encore. She knows how to make daddy proud!

Now, here's where it gets weird. One of my favorite blogs to read is Stuff Christians Like. I don't always get to read everything he posts but most of it is good stuff. Great for a chuckle and sometimes thought provoking. Well, when you have a baby, blog reading sort of takes a back seat for a few days and in the blogsphere that's like a trillion years or something. So I missed a lot of Jon's posts in July.

Fast forward with me now to this past weekend. Barbara Postma references Jon's blog on "Is this John Mayer or The Message Bible" and much to my shame I had no clue as to what she was referring. So, being the great friend she is, Barbara goes back and digs through the archives at SCL and finds me the post. I read it and, again, much to my shame got one wrong. I thought I was a better Mayerite than this. So naturally I want to share this post with you, my friends, and so went back to find the link today and discovered not only was it posted during my absence from the blogsphere but it was posted the very day after Layla and John took the stage together. HOW WEIRD IS THAT!

Ok so maybe its not so weird but hopefully it made for a good read and a bit of family history you didn't know before hand.

3 comments:

  1. I, like you, got 14/15 on the test.

    I actually take that mean that I am both an acceptable Jon Mayer fan and a solid student of the Bible. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we still be friends? I only got a 10 out of 15, and this was my second time taking the test. But in my defense, I've never actually listened to John Mayer or read the Message so I was laying down my best educated guesses.

    And really, if anything, this is making me really wonder about the quality of The Message. I get now that John is a cool lyricist, but to think the Message says "I dare to believe the luckless will get lucky one day"?

    um....not okay.

    Glad to have made your day! What you really need to do now in the "that's cool date game" is go back in the recesses of your memory to 07/07/07 and see if you were talking about having a girl named Layla, or talking about seeing John Mayer in concert. That would be almost prophetic! hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Barbara we can still be friends. I do find it odd that this is the first time you've questioned the Message as a legitimate translation. The Message is to the Bible what Peter Jackson's movies are to the real LOTR. Close but different enough to be cut from the same canonical (sp? or a real word?) cloth.

    ReplyDelete